Continuing our series of commonly asked questions, we asked Houston-based attorney Syndy Davis a question regarding certain transactions that require a survey:


Are there certain transactions that require a survey?
The Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) 1-4 Family Residential Contract, which is widely used throughout the state for residential resales, contains a provision that does require some type of survey in connection with the closing. This may require a new survey or the use of an existing survey accompanied by an Affidavit of No Change.

Other transactions that likely require a new survey include new construction, carve outs, and subsequent improvements, among others.


Check back next week for our final installment where Syndy answers if title could fully insure a transaction when a survey is not available.