By Tony Florence
An important reminder: the NMLS License renewal process gets underway this month. As a former TDSML Director, I encourage you to take this vital step to renew your license soon – and don’t put it off until the last minute. You’ll be glad you took steps now before waiting until the rush of the holidays.
Here at home, we are governed by the rules set forth by the Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending. If you follow this link for the NMLS Resource Center, you’ll find helpful information for new applications, amendments (renewals), or surrendering your license – by license type. You can also reach the NMLS Call Center at (855) 655-7123.
Here are a few more tips and reminders:
- Renewal periods for all licenses/registrations run from November 1st to December 31st
- Reinstatement periods run from January 1st to February 28th
- Required Continuing Education (CE) should be completed (recommendation is no later than December 14) and banked to the individual’s NMLS record before requesting renewal
- Companies and individuals who don’t request renewal by the deadline must stop conducting regulated mortgage activity until the reinstatement is completed and the license or registration is back in an active status.
- A best practice for sponsoring entities is to confirm that individuals complete the required CE on a timely basis and request renewal by December 31st
Questions? I’m happy to help. Email me at [email protected].